Wednesday, July 08, 2009

To Great Grandmothers House We Go

Our Fourth of July celebration was extra special this year. Donald treated Emma and Me to a special family trip to Dixon Illinois to see my 95 year old Grandmother (Emma's Great Grandmother and namesake). It was a last minute decision and a surprise for my Grandma. Emma has never met her Great Grandma Emma and I knew that time just keeps slipping by and her age is not on our side. Donald thought that it was an important trip and he knew how important it was to me. I use to spend every Thanksgiving at her house and every other summer up until I was 10. Then our family left Ohio to California because of my dad's job. My parents took one last family trip to my Grandmother's house when I was no more than 12 and I hadn't been back since, even though my grandmother has made several trips to see us over the years.

This was a much needed and very special trip.

It was Emma's first airplane ride, so first time past security at the airport. It was such a wonderful new world and she did great! My Father-in-law gave me some much needed advice, buy a cheep umbrella stroller. At first I rolled my eyes and said "no, We'll be fine." But after some thought and his explanation, I was very keen to go out the very next day to Target and purchase one. And Oh MY did it make all the difference getting around the airports even though we were flying direct through to Chicago. Emma loved the new stroller and was all to happy to ride around in it. And it left us worry free from her running off.
Emma loved the airport and watching the planes take off while we waited our turn to board. Once we got to our gate at the San Diego airport I took her out of the stroller and let her stretch her legs before the 4 hour flight.


Donald and I took turns entertaining her. I played patty cake which Emma loved.


I wish I could have gotten a picture of her giant smile when we got seated on the plane she was so excited and quickly buckled in for the flight. She loved sitting like a big girl. The flight was quick. Thanks to wonderful advice from my Sister-in-law Andra (who use to be a flight attendant) and a few friends who have flown with their kids, I packed her iPod with Disney Movies loaded on it, books, crayons, snacks, her American Girl Bitty Baby and back pack. Emma had loads to keep her happy. We kept her hydrated with loads of water and yummy airplane food. The only unfortunate thing was that the plane was completely full and we were stuck in a row of seats right next to the engine that blocked the view outside.

Emma never fell asleep on the plane. She loved the bus ride over to the car rental and thought our red Prius was super cool. But once we got on the road from Chicago to Dixon Emma was fast asleep

No comments: