Thursday, July 09, 2009

Meeting Great Grandma Emma "GG"

Thanks to Donald's Dad for letting us use his Tom Tom, we had no problems making it to Dixon in a very timely manner. But once we got into Dixon I felt we were going way past Grandma's house. We saw the sings for Ronald Regan's house and were driving way past it. I knew we could walk there from my grandmother's and I was looking down streets that seemed to be in her direction, but since it had been over 20 years, I just assumed that my memory wasn't very good. Sure enough the Tom Tom didn't like my Grandmother's address, or the way we had imputed it, so it wanted us to drive right into the Dixon river across from the high school in the center of town. So I pulled out my iPhone and tried the map on it and it got us right were I thought it should. Yay iPhone!!

Right before we turned on to Peoria Ave, Donald pulled over and I got the camera out of the back of the Prius. I wish I had the camera during our drive as it is the most beautiful part of the United States to drive through. It was so green with miles after miles of gorgeous farms and red barns and beautiful homes centered on such green luscious fields.
I handed the camera over to Donald when we got out of the car and I went and grabbed Emma. My Grandmother was sitting on her porch with my mom and dad waiting for her mystery guests. She jumped up the moment she recognized Donald in the driver seat pulling up to her house.

My dad was the first to greet us rolling his eyes at our choice for a rental, as he is not a fan of the Prius (more on that later :) He couldn't wait to get in some cuddles from his youngest grandchild.

Emma was over the moon to see her Grandma and Grandpa Leppink again, and very excited to meet her Great Grandma that soon turned into her just saying "GG"

My Grandma was so thrilled that we came to see her she was just beside herself with pure joy.
Being a true "Emma" she had loads to say right away to us, and now she had a bit of competition because little Emma had loads to tell her too.

I of course was caught way off guard by the flood of memories that poured over me from my happy childhood. My Grandmother looks just like I remember her just a bit more slow going when getting around, but what do you expect at 95. Her mind is as sharp as ever, and always the amazing hostest.

Emma loved GG's house and yard. There was so much to explore! My Grandmother is only the second owner of the house that was built in 1860. The house has such a history as it was used in the underground railroad to help smuggle slaves out of the south. The hiding places and trap doors are still all inside!

It was getting dark and Emma wanted to explore as much of the outside as she could before it just got too dark
I had been sitting in the kitchen catching up and reminiscing with my Grandma and Mom and started wondering where Donald, my Dad, and Emma had gone. I went outside to discover them chasing fireflies. I was immediately transformed to my childhood and the joy of summer time in the midwest.
Emma loved the warm summer evening and "Fire bees" as she likes to call them.
But it was getting dark and late and Emma needed to go to bed after such an exciting day. So back inside Grandma's house for some hugs and kisses before heading to the hotel. My Grandma, couldn't stop smiling and saying I don't know how I am expected to fall asleep now, I just can't believe you are here! I knew strait away that this trip was worth every penny!

A note to my readers, Dixon Illinois is the hometown of Ronald Regan, who was best friends with my Grandpa as children and as adults. My mother grew up knowing Ronald Regan and his family as good friends. My Grandmother's house is full of pictures of the family over the years with Ronald Regan and his family. The last picture my Grandmother has is of her with Ronald Regan right after he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He made the trip home to Dixon to see his good friends one last time. When I was little it was while Ronald Regan was our president, my Grandmother would have us all walk over to his childhood home for a tour.

No comments: