Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Stop what you're doing and go back up your computer right now. I got a call from Gillware today about our hard drive, and the news is not good. at. all. They are sending back the hard drive and said that I was welcome to get a second opinion, but that this is going to be a VERY difficult case so don't bother with anyone that charges a fee to evaluate the drive. Soooo... All the pictures we have taken since October are gone. All of Suzanne's art work from the last six months is gone. There is a VERY small chance that someone else may be able to recover the data, but as the Gillware rep put it, "you have a physical failure as well as a logic failure on your drive, so it is beyond us".

As with most things Don, there is some irony in this story. We have owned an external hard drive for about 4 years now. We bought it to store pictures and Suzanne's artwork on while she was going to school and it served its purpose quite well. Being an external hard drive, it has been ported all over the place. It has moved from exotic Ramona to Hillcrest to Rancho Bernardo to London to Rancho Bernardo to San Marcos. I looked at the hard drive one day last fall and decided I really needed a solution that wasn't quite as old... It would really suck to lose all that work... So, I built a server, put the art/pictures on my newest hard drive and was happy with the work I had done. My external hard drive still works just fine... And hasn't been updated since I built a server to make my files a little safer.

Could you afford to lose every picture on your computer right this second without any heartache? How about the music, documents, etc. you have stored on it? Stop what you are doing right now and go back it all up.

No comments: